- I am surprised we didn’t try to hang on to Graham Harrell or at least hang onto him and then trade him. We put significant time/energy into teaching this guy our system and by all appearances, he learned it well.
- I’m surprised Brad Jones kept a spot. He has not looked good in the preseason.
- Clearly the team believes that TEs can be taught the FB position. We have seen this more and more the last few years with TEs stepping into the backfield to block etc. Still I’m a bit concerned about having only 1 FB – especially because Kuhn himself is not actually a FB…remember Kuhn was a RB in college.
- I’m a bit concerned with getting rid of Quinn Johnson. I thought he had potential to be a Vonta Leach-type FB who could seriously clear space. I know his performance over time with us was not stellar and that perhaps the coaches thought he wasn’t developing fast enough. But I just thought he had considerable potential. And again, it’s difficult knowing we have no pure FBs on the roster right now.
- While I like TEs and believe it’s important to have depth there, I’m wondering what the meaning behind drafting so many in recent years is. Is there little desire/plan to re-sign Finley, so TT and MM are wanting to develop depth now? Is the plan to teach all TEs both the TE and FB positions – essentially getting rid of the FB role? If this is the plan (and it appears as though it is), is this being done in part because TEs somehow are more valuable on special teams?
- OK, enough about TEs and FBs. It’s unfortunate that we’re only keeping 5 WRs. I think a few of those WRs showed well in camp including Gurley, West and even Kerry Taylor – and I think keeping one of them would have made some sense. In particular, I think Gurley would have been a nice addition not just because of his WR skills, but because of his punt blocking talent. Jsonline had an article a few weeks back about Gurley and his punt blocking abilities. Even having the threat of a punt blocker out there can mess with an opposing punter’s mindset. It’s the kind of talent that could change games.
- I won’t lose sleep over these cuts. The Packers still have an awesome team this year.