Following is a breakdown of which players will most likely make the team (listed in depth order). I’m posting this today but tonight’s game could change some things around. (These aren’t necessarily the players I’d keep, but rather the players I think the team will keep).
- QBs (3) – Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn. Unfortunately, because Brohm continues to suck it up, the team may need to keep all 3 active for game days.
- RBs (4) – Grant, Jackson, Lumpkin, Herron. Hard to part ways with Morency but my guess is that the team likely views Herron as the safe guy and Lumpkin as having way more upside. (I’d keep Morency over Herron). Lumpkin may even push to be the #2 back before long.
- FBs (2) – Hall, Kuhn. Obvious choices. Powdrell looked OK during his time here, but has already been cut.
- WRs (5) – Driver, Jennings, Jones, Martin, Nelson.They’ll hope to sign Jake Allen and maybe Johnny Quinn to the practice squad.
- TEs (3) – Lee, Finley, Humphrey. (Haynos to practice squad – though he may get picked up by another team). Humphrey will make the team despite not impressing like coaches had hoped. He is a huge guy and would likely be serviceable should Lee get hurt or something. Though I wouldn’t rule out a last minute acquisition of a veteran TE who gets cut by another team.
- O-Line (9) – Tauscher, Spitz, Wells, Moll, Clifton, Colledge, Babre, Sitton, Orrin Thompson (Breno Giacomini stands a chance to make the team if they feel due to Wells injury etc, that they ought to keep 10 O-Line guys. If this happens, Joe Porter likely would make the team or maybe David Muir).
- D-Line (10) – Kampman, Pickett, Jolly, Jenkins, Montgomery, Hunter, Cole, Muir, Thompson, KGB. KGB will make the team only because the team is desperate for back-up D-Line help. TT does have it on his mind though to release KGB if the knee doesn’t get better soon, freeing up $7.7 million.
- LBs (7) – Hawk, Barnett, Poppinga, Chillar, Hodge, Bishop, White. No surprises here.
- Safeties (5) – Collins, Bigby, Rouse, Culver, Peprah. No surprises here. Bush may continue to get some looks at safety. He has made some nice plays at safety in the preseason.
- DBs (7) – Harris, Woodson, Williams, Blackmon, Bush, Lee, Porter. Porter is the surprise here. He’s played quite well (and apparently well in practice too). He will be kept primarily though, for special teams, though he may often be left off the
- Special Teams (3) – Crosby, Ryan, Jenssen.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: jwestphal pointed out that I failed to add my cut numbers correctly. I could have sworn I narrowed the team down to 53, but I didn’t – there are 58 players listed here. So, the additional 5 cuts would be: Joe Porter, David Muir, Tyrone Culver (depending on the severity of Charlie Peprah’s injury – they seem to like Peprah more), Tory Humphrey and gulp…KGB.