- The Packers showed some serious heart today and that’s huge. Sometimes over the last few weeks when coaching has been awful, when personnel is questionable because of a GM who refuses to look at free agents and sticks with his underperforming guys too long, and sometimes when the momentum is clearly against you – heart is all you have. And the Pack delivered today.
- There was point today when the Pack was down 21-10 that I seriously thought the season was truly over. Atlanta has been a study in futility this year – a defense in particular that has been so bad it’s been amazing. So for this to have actually been a game is pathetic really. They were better prepared than we were (something McCarthy has struggled with mightily in the last few weeks) and they executed early on. We were outplayed and outcoached early on big-time. McCarthy’s in-game coaching was suspect again today, especially with regard to time management.
- But we came around. Some of it, I have to say, was McCarthy turning to just about every play he had in his playbook for Andrew Quarless. Really smart play calling as Quarless was playing well and Atlanta, also being a horrendous defensive team, failed to make any adjustments whatsoever. So we did something McCarthy doesn’t do enough – just stick with what’s working. Quarless was working. But the reason these were sensible play calls was because they were short, quick passes mostly that were easy for Flynn to execute and they were also throw to places on the field away from lots of defenders enabling serious YAC after each catch. Just well done by Flynn/McCarthy there.
- While Quarless showed me a lot today, I really want Bostick to get more involved. That guy strikes me as a potential mismatch problem guy – moreso than Quarless.
- Flynn threw the ball far better today than he has in any of the previous games. He was accurate and even had some nice throws across the field – the kinds of throws that a guy with a super weak arm can’t make too well – making me think his arm is just fine. The question this begs of course is – where was this any of the last few games?
- Flynn also had a few key runs today – his mobility and willingness to stick his neck out there got us a few absolutely key yards. Matt Flynn was game today.
- Lacy is a monster. He is really tough to tackle. I can’t remember seeing a back with such good balance. Even when he’s been “tackled” – it’s usually more that he’s gone out of bounds or the officials just stop the play calling forward progress. It is so fun to watch. Still – you might be surprised that he only had 65 yards on 20 carries. Not that impressive actually.
- Our defense is still terrible. We have a questionable scheme, poor coordination by Capers and weak personnel because of TT. Yet somehow, this much-criticized group came together and produced in the second half. They made plays, caused a huge turnover and did what they had to do when it counted most. Jarrett Bush came through at the end (sort of breaking up that pass to Gonzalez and then getting the pick), but really it was Mike Neal’s sack/fumble that turned the game. Nicely done defense – boy it’s been a while since I’ve been able to say that.
- I didn’t like McCarthy’s decision to punt with less than 5 minutes left and 1 yard to go at the 50 yard line. We get the first down there and we can run down the clock and probably at worst kick a FG forcing the Falcons to get a TD to win with probably not much time left. Instead we punted and Ryan drove his team all the way back down the field. They probably should have kicked the FG there – and this game might have ended differently. Gregg Easterbrook – ESPN’s Tuesday Morning QB – is not going to like that playcall by McCarthy.
- Crosby had another, quiet, good game. That was important. A 40 yard FG in those conditions is not easy. Nicely done again. Masthay also had one of the plays of the game with that punt toward the end. Amazing touch that guy has.
- While we were all preparing to jump overboard when the Pack was down 21-10, they rallied, showed some real heart and pulled it off. I come away impressed with the victory even though it was sloppy and a team as bad as Atlanta had no business hanging with a Packers team at Lambeau in our weather. But we won and we really needed to win to maintain hope of a playoff spot (which is still not out of the question with the Lions’ loss). There are lots of things to fix and I remain doubtful that we can get there but we showed some heart today and that matters. Nice team win.
Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
And they just showed the graphic – we’re giving the ball back to a guy who just gets it done in the 4th quarter. And all they need is a FG.
Lacy has had his way with the Falcon’s D and the season was on the line – I’d have gone for it there. Instead, we now put our D back on the field to try to save the season. I know the D has been pretty good in the second half but I would have gone for it to end the game.
Very nicely done.
It’s just impressive. It has to totally suck to have to tackle that guy.
Wow. Mike Neal and Jolly finally help the D make a contributing play! Nicely done there. Big momentum shift.
Why? What’s the point? Just go for it. If we don’t get it Atlanta has terrible field position.
They are calling some nice plays for Quarless and on each of them we’re gaining significant yards. Good calls on those.
But I do appreciate the effort here. They are still in the game and they are playing hard (just not smart/well).
Great. I think we should shut down all first team players for the season now – have an extensive trial period for backups!