There are some very good veteran players that could really help out the Packers right now. Yes some would come with salary issues and I know, I know, TT doesn’t like jumping into the free agency frenzy early on. Still, there are some players out there that could make an immediate difference for the Packers. (It’s too bad Donte Whitner and Jarius Byrd already got scooped up – either one of those guys would have helped our secondary.)
- Justin Tuck DE- effective pass rusher, especially when he’s opposite another good pass rusher (like Matthews)
- Julius Peppers DE – I know he fell off a bit last year but he is still a threat to the QB and would pair nicely with Matthews)
- DeMarcus Ware DE – while I know his cap # became unsustainable for a team that manages that poorly and I know he had a significant injury last year, I was still surprised by his release. He would be a massive upgrade opposite Matthews though his contract could be a bit on the ridiculous side.
- Daryl Smith ILB – Smith played well filling in for retired Ray Lewis and we have major needs at ILB.
- Jon Beason ILB – Beason enjoyed a good season last year with the struggling NY Giants. A fantastic tackler, he could also provide a much-needed veteran leadership presence for the defense.
- LaMarr Woodley OLB – while there is some concern about why Pitt would give up on the guy, Woodley is a good player and would be an upgrade over the options we have now.
- LeGarrette Blount RB – Blount is a gamer and would be the kind of backup opposing defenses would hate to see after getting beat up by Lacy.
- Owen Daniels TE – he sort of fell out of favor in Houston mostly because of frequent injuries, but Daniels could be a solid addition to our TE group. Very good pass catcher.
- Kenny Britt WR – I realize this would be a long-shot option given Britt’s attitude and his injury history. But the fact was, there was a stretch within the last few years when Britt was quietly one of the dominant WRs in the game. If he could effectively learn the Packers’ system, I think he could thrive as a #3 or #4 WR.
- Darren Sproles RB – while we may have to trade for him (as he hasn’t been released…yet) I think he could be a huge difference maker for the Packers. He would be a complete contrast to Lacy and when on the field at the same time as Cobb, would present a major match-up issue for opposing defenses.
Any other free agents you all are thinking about?