Here are some that caught my eye:
* 13th in passing yards (1064)
* 12th in in QB rating (95.7)
* 23rd in yards per completion (a stat he usually owns)
* 26th in completions of 20+ yards
* 20th in completions of 40+ yards
* 1st in number of times sacked (first half in Seattle seriously skews this – but those were legit sacks)
Based on these numbers alone, it would seem Packer fans have reason to worry that Rodgers just isn’t playing up to par. And I have already suggested in previous posts that I don’t think he’s been as crisp overall this year as he has been the past couple years. Missing some open WRs and missing throws he made the last couple years. At the same time though, I don’t think when analyzing these stats a person can ignore the fact that the Packers have played 3 of the top 6 defenses in the NFL so far this year. I think his performance against New Orleans is more likely to be closer to the “normal” performance going forward even though their D was suspect. Also, Rodgers still does lead the NFL in completion percentage at 69.9%, which is a significant stat when evaluating QB play.
I also think Rodgers and McCarthy have been slowly gaining a better sense for how this offense should flow – especially trying to work both Benson and Cobb in as useful weapons this year. Even though we have surprisingly not run the ball more this year than last year at this point, I do think that figuring out how to get these guys (particularly Benson) worked in has been a significant factor so far early in the season. The fact that Benson appears to be able to consistently get that 3-4 yards that is often so helpful for down and distance is huge – and I think it makes Rodgers/McCarthy feel compelled to get him his carries. (And it also helps that Benson appears to simply be incapable of losing yards – it’s amazing really.) Against the Saints the flow was very solid offensively and it was not surprising that Rodgers, Cobb and Benson all produced great stats.
Some other interesting stats about NFL QBs?
* RGIII is 4th in QB rating (103.2), 5th in 20+yard completions (17) and 2nd in completion % (69.4 – 16 percentage points higher than Andrew Luck). The guy can play – and we haven’t even mentioned his rushing yards and rushing TDs.
* Ryan Fitzpatrick leads the NFL with 12 TD passes.
* Christian Ponder is 5th in completion percentage and 8th in QB rating (at 97.7).
* Matt Ryan and RGIII appear to be the clear overall leaders stats-wise this year